Every time we end the night, I immediately wonder how am I going to get home.The night was warm as usual and the usual 5 drinks had me slightly flushed and a bit hot under the collar.
She seemed fine even though she'd matched me drink for drink.
I felt slightly ashamed.
The conversation started again, about how this night was amazing and we had so much fun. I didn't take part in it as my friends seemed to not really care that much about the responses, but more about the tone of their words. We had a good time you see.
She didn't take part either and when our eyes met, she smiled slightly, as if to say, "We always have a good night, so why bother having this talk every single time." I smiled back too, simply because I didn't know what else I could do.
The voices seemed to have died down slightly as people were wandering around aimlessly looking for cabs or messaging people on their stupid smart phones. I blamed smart phones for a lot of things, one of them being the demise in interpersonal relationships.
I looked at my watch in the dark and struggled to make out the luminescent hour and minute hands as they told me it was nearing the midnight hour. Trains stop at midnight around here. Time to get my walk on.
I made my farewells, put a smile on face and thrust my hands in my pockets as I started the short walk to the train station. I'll make the last train home I said to myself.
A voice called out behind me and I stopped, turning around confused as to why I must be called away again since I had already made my final farewells. She was waving to me and walking rather slowly I thought, in my direction.
"I'll join you in the train, we're going in the same direction anyways.", she said sweetly.
My skin above my lip started to sweat. I blamed the muggy weather.
I didn't say anything, but slowed down till she caught up with me and we walked in silence to the train. Our steps moving in sync, so they created an echo effect when our heels hit the dry pavement. She held my hand.
I held hers back.
We both caught the last train home.
Peace.
She seemed fine even though she'd matched me drink for drink.
I felt slightly ashamed.
The conversation started again, about how this night was amazing and we had so much fun. I didn't take part in it as my friends seemed to not really care that much about the responses, but more about the tone of their words. We had a good time you see.
She didn't take part either and when our eyes met, she smiled slightly, as if to say, "We always have a good night, so why bother having this talk every single time." I smiled back too, simply because I didn't know what else I could do.
The voices seemed to have died down slightly as people were wandering around aimlessly looking for cabs or messaging people on their stupid smart phones. I blamed smart phones for a lot of things, one of them being the demise in interpersonal relationships.
I looked at my watch in the dark and struggled to make out the luminescent hour and minute hands as they told me it was nearing the midnight hour. Trains stop at midnight around here. Time to get my walk on.
I made my farewells, put a smile on face and thrust my hands in my pockets as I started the short walk to the train station. I'll make the last train home I said to myself.
A voice called out behind me and I stopped, turning around confused as to why I must be called away again since I had already made my final farewells. She was waving to me and walking rather slowly I thought, in my direction.
"I'll join you in the train, we're going in the same direction anyways.", she said sweetly.
My skin above my lip started to sweat. I blamed the muggy weather.
I didn't say anything, but slowed down till she caught up with me and we walked in silence to the train. Our steps moving in sync, so they created an echo effect when our heels hit the dry pavement. She held my hand.
I held hers back.
We both caught the last train home.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment