"Come join me if you're done", I texted her, regretting the moment I pressed the 'sent' button. She'll think I'm lame, I lamented to myself in a 1950s sorta way. I cursed a bit longer as I savoured the cigarette smoke-filled air outside the bar. My phone vibrated.
"I'll be there!!!" the reply seemed to scream at me. The exclamation points could have been the cause, but it was more likely the deep excitement I felt. At the same time, my stomach churned and my legs turned to jelly. What have I done!?
I went back inside the bar slowly. My friends called out to me, but all I could do was wave and point to the bar. I need a drink I mimed rather unconvincingly. They were too preoccupied to notice to be honest. I went to the bar anyway.
I nursed a cold one that I didn't want and couldn't enjoy. Why did she reply I screamed at myself. I felt the stares at the bar, because, I realised, I had cursed out loud.
Fear gripped me tightly like a long distance lover when we meet for that oh-so short time.
I hoped she wouldn't come, while wishing she would hurry up.
Drink in hand I ventured outside the bar again slowly. Drink in hand I looked up and there she was. Drink in hand I smiled.
Everything was going to be all right.
Peace.
"I'll be there!!!" the reply seemed to scream at me. The exclamation points could have been the cause, but it was more likely the deep excitement I felt. At the same time, my stomach churned and my legs turned to jelly. What have I done!?
I went back inside the bar slowly. My friends called out to me, but all I could do was wave and point to the bar. I need a drink I mimed rather unconvincingly. They were too preoccupied to notice to be honest. I went to the bar anyway.
I nursed a cold one that I didn't want and couldn't enjoy. Why did she reply I screamed at myself. I felt the stares at the bar, because, I realised, I had cursed out loud.
Fear gripped me tightly like a long distance lover when we meet for that oh-so short time.
I hoped she wouldn't come, while wishing she would hurry up.
Drink in hand I ventured outside the bar again slowly. Drink in hand I looked up and there she was. Drink in hand I smiled.
Everything was going to be all right.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment