I should be the last person to write about being gay and the prejudices involved in living a gay lifestyle, but I'm a know-it-all, so I thought I'd give it a try.
First to inform you'll again, I aint gay. I don't live a very gay lifestyle and I like the ladies. A lot. However, I have nothing against gay people, I like their fashion sense (most of the time), I don't mind their music and generally they're fun to hang out with. Of course I am uncomfortable when they hit on me and I get irritated when I see a lesbian couple and the girls are smoking hot. I mean what the hell, I have even less of a chance than before.
But I digress again. Why do people have an issue with homosexuals. Why is it such a big deal and why are people morally offended by the idea that people like other people of the same sex. I don't exactly see the big deal. People quote religion as a reason and extol the virtues of being pure. I mean what the hell, how can anyone define what is pure, especially when comparing our lives and the way we live them.
It could be that society has looked down on same sex relationships these last few decades. Centuries ago, the Greeks encouraged gay relationships to ensure their soldiers did not go into war with a family left behind and a lot of reluctance. Gay sex was an accepted part of society as people did not see it as a crime against nature. I doubt they exactly loved the notion, but it was more accepted then, than now. So what changed. Was it the rise of strict religious control in the last millennium or was the growing distrust with how happy gay people seemed in relation to a standard male - female relationship. Who can tell?
I know someone who seemed to be pretty tolerant about a lot of stuff, but for some reason cannot stand gay people. She thinks its unnatural and why do people have to choose to be gay. I didn't agree that it was a choice. How can people think you choose to be gay. I didn't choose to be straight or awesome, it just happens. Its not a lifestyle choice, like choosing to straighten your hair or get a tattoo.
How can we pass judgement on someone without giving them the benefit of trying to understand their point of view or for that matter why do we even need to pass judgement.
This has been a sore topic for a lot of people over the years, so I am wondering what people out there think. Let me know.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment