Normally I try to steer away from topics of controversy. However I can't keep away from this one. Is the war is Sri Lanka really over?
No one really knows as yet. Is Prabhakaran dead? No one knows that for sure either. Do I want him to be dead, I think I do, but some people want him alive to pay for his sins, slowly and rather painfully. I don't think we need that right now. After war let there be some peace for everyone. there is no need to wreak bloody revenge, when lives have been lost for a false hope and false cause.
I can't justify either side in this battle. The LTTE sprang up from the Sinhalese's treatment of Tamils and their racist policies that were detrimental to growth as a country. The LTTE's cause got lost when they decided violence was their greatest weapon along with fear and their leader stopped fighting for a cause, but for a personal battle. Who is wrong and who is right. Thousands have died and people all over the world laid blame on either side.
How is it that people who come to Sri Lanka for a few months, live in a little bubble that shows them one small side of the conflict and they feel they can be called experts on a war they have no idea about. News agencies cried foul as thousands died during the shelling and bombing that took place during the final days of the war. But how many thousands died as suicide bombers and sneak attacks took their toll over a 20 year period. Does it even out in the end. I don't think it can, because it was a tragedy when the first life was lost or even before that, when the first spark was tossed into someone's mind that lives should be lost.
We stand disgusted as these so-called experts scream bloody murder and demand that justice be brought to Sri Lanka, when they don't even know what's really going. To be honest neither do I, but I try not to sensationalize the truth for profit. People are dying, there is no doubt, but thousands have already died and to ignore that for the sake of money is both sad and disgusting.
Read this CNN blogspot and read the comments on there. It is very sad that the news is often based on these misguided lies and half-truths that people put down: http://internationaldesk.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/12/today-at-the-idesk-tuesday-edition/
Does anybody have anything to say about this.
Peace out.
I'd say the extremists will never change their views. Its upto the more open minded of us to make a difference and make sure that history never repeats itself again. As for the news reports, i really have no clue...both sides i'm sure have contributed to the loss of lives...but thats a consequence of choosing war as a solution. Think thats something that, even though is very ugly, both sides will have to come to accept and put behind us if we are to go any step forward.
ReplyDeletenicely put, though I must keep with tradition and say that your comment was a bit of an emo tirade.
ReplyDelete