Sunday, February 22, 2009

Singapore Perceptions

I'm trying to be as impartial as I can possibly be when writing about Singapore and the differences I faced while living here. Its not that easy cos I'm generally quite a subjective writer.

However looking back at my two years in Singapore I've come to realise that Singapore does have its unique view of the world and how everything must revolve around them.

With that in mind, i'll try and paint a picture about how Singaporeans see the outside world from the perspective of someone not used to their unique ways of looking at the most mundane things.

The queuing: not many people outside Singapore quite understand what the big deal is about the queues in Singapore. They accuse you of overreacting to a minor inconvenience. All i can say is, "Hey buddy, i grew up in Sri Lanka, where convenience is luxury that most times money couldn't even buy, i've stood in queues back in Lanka that took hours to reach the counter due to incompetence and poor processes." But singapore is a completely different story. They queue for ages simply because there is a queue. The queue can reach upto a 100 people sometimes. Apparently this is the norm over here.

The belief that their English is the best: hey I know people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but i also believe my English should not be judged upon my accent. (note to the wise Singaporean accents are as bad... lah) My English is passable, even decent. I have a vocabulary and i know what that word means, however the average Singaporean is not very succint and precise with their delivery, yet they believe they give Oxford scholars a run for their money.

The white worship: this is by far the most galling perception that the majority of Singaporeans have. They love them some white people. If you are white and have some money the ladies will love you long time. If you're white or educated abroad and speak like a whitey, you'll be treated differently. Some would say with more deference, but more likely verging on worship. This perception that white means good is both irritating and frustrating for a none white like me... (i'm yellow in case anyone was wondering)

SPGs (Sarong Party Girls): See above.

Peace out...

I still like Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment