
I've been in Singapore for some time now and I must admit its becoming easier for me to handle the way life works here, but I still feel like a fish out of water occasionally.
When I first came here I was a fresh faced new grad student with high expectations and hopes. How quickly that changed.
My first jolt back to reality was finding out that Singapore is just as conservative as Sri Lanka is, except women tend to wear less clothes (Which I completely support, power to women). The culture is somewhat old fashioned and even though western culture has permeated many aspects of society most people are still bound by their societal pressures. That sucked a lot for me.
Apart from the conservativeness what surprised me was that people generally did not seem to give a rat's ass about other people. I am not saying love thy neighbour unconditionally, but at least try not to mow him down as you walk towards him.
Those are the few negatives that immediately threw me off. Singapore did however have a few things of note to offer me. I love their transport system. I come from a place where buses go to die and the road system is archaic to say the least. I can now happily travel in a bus without having to change my shirt afterwards.
I like Singaporean girls, which surprises me alot. I'm not a massive fan of their rather mindless following of fashion trends, but i enjoy the fact that they generally look very pretty. I'd high-five myself right now if i could. However one thing they could possibly change would be the amount of make-up they wear because for the life of me, they put it on so thick its impossible to know what they really look like.
Jokes aside Singapore has been good to me so far. I enjoy living here and convenience is something i cannot live with out right now.
So singapore, you had better continue to love me long time...
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment