Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cultural Differences Part 1

I spent sometime recently trying to explain the idea of freedom of speech and also oppressive free cultures to a Singaporean girl. While i fairly sure she understood everything I said, but i am also fairly sure she did not understand what I meant.

They never truly understand the concept of free speech. I mean, I lived in Sri Lanka where free speech about the Government or anyone with money is frowned upon and treated "harshly" (this means you are either beaten up or killed or both). So for me freedom of speech is not exactly something I grew up with, but I personally feel as though it is an essential aspect of living in a country. If you can't question anything, then what the hell is the point of living there.

Well it all comes down to the cultural differences I have constantly harped on about. How can you explain the idea of fire to a fish who has never seen or experienced the thing. You honestly can't, but i gave it the old college try (which loosely translated means: drunkenly shouted out my reasons, even though i was dead sober).

I must reiterate again, I don't hate Singapore, i enjoy the place, but I have a feeling this silent oppression will start to rattle me after sometime.

I've been reading blog posts online and forums and people seem to believe that freedom of speech is not necessary. I've been trying to see it from their eyes, but I am failing quite badly. I don't think it is a luxury, but a damn necessity.

I did hear about someone who faced a fine for writing on his blog that a person on a train spelled. Apparently he was being a bit racist and they fined him for that. I in no way condone any form of racism, unless i am the one making the comment or its damn funny. But coming back to my point, where do we draw the line. Will they fine someone who does not conform to the social norms. I can't be all right with not having a chance to voice my opinion. It is not the way.

Peace

Disclaimer: please do not in any way consider my post a criticism of a govt organisation or person. I have no wish to be fined, deported or harassed for my humble, but honest opinions.

2 comments:

  1. When you said, "I don't think it is a luxury, but a damn necessity." ... I couldn't agree with you more! I think freedom of speech should be considered a basic human right. This is why it saddens me that it does not exist anywhere in the world in absolute purity. Even in the U.S. where they speak about freedom of speech with the highest regard, it is more like an illusion when it comes to things that really matter. People in power and governments maker sure of that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As sad as this may seem, i don't think it is possible for freedom of speech to exist in a pure form at least during this current global period. Too many problems and issues to deal with.

    ReplyDelete