I had a lot of trouble coming up with a title for this blog. Right now, the title space is empty, but by the time i publish this, I'm sure there'll be something to take up the space. So in the mean time I'll tell what I'm writing about.
I thought it best to give people a background into my life in Sri Lanka, because from there you may be able to understand where I'm coming from when I write about the different perceptions of life that Singaporeans have from my eyes naturally.
That video is to give you an idea of what Sri Lanka is like, the music though is not Sri Lankan in origin, I believe it is an Indian song.
Anyhow, coming back to my awesome life in Sri Lanka. It had its ups and downs, but I did enjoy quite a lot of my life down there. The beaches, the easy pace of life, the beaches, the cheapish booze and did i mention the beaches. Life literally was a beach.
The downs were the constant fighting in the North and East, the fact that you couldn't have a fair fight in Colombo, it was always you versus about a gang of twenty. The fact that the culture at times could be very backward and this caused a lot of problems sometimes. Also I personally had to deal with a bit of racism now and then, nothing too serious, but irritating all the same. The one plus side was the fact all the ladies assumed I had money, which I never had, but they never found out till later on. (Right now I am high-fiving myself)
My life back in Sri Lanka was pretty good. I enjoyed the freedoms associated with being a young guy with no serious responsibilities and took advantage of that. My liver did pay a small price for the large amount of booze that I consumed during my degree years and the half a year afterwards, but I am sure it regenerates to an extent.
Comparatively my life in Singapore is much tamer, which means less booze, less girls (ok no girls, but that's a temporary problem), more stress and more backward culture, but in a completely different form - Sri Lankans knew how to take a joke, Singaporeans for the life of me, have no sense of humour. That is one of their greatest setbacks.
So this is how my two lives compare. Which is better, who knows... I had more fun in Sri Lanka, but I have more opportunity in Singapore. What's life without fun, but how to have fun without having the means.
Who can decide.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment