We found her outside the house starving and wondering around the place calling to anyone as they passed her by. She is rake thin and timid, but she's so sweet and cuddly you kinda wanna squeeze her tight.
Someone had brought her up, trained her to be non-aggressive and then thrown her out to fend for herself. She had a snowball's chance in hell of making it on her own and was dying out there. I would use this as a comparison to say Singaporeans are cruel, but its no different wherever you come from. There have been numerous cases of cat cruelty publicized in the print media as well as online and it makes me sick inside. I generally have no problem with blood and gore, because hell I'm used to it, but reading the ways people treat animals in general make me sick to my stomach. Sri Lanka is no different, just less publicized, because its more newsworthy to report the way people torture each other. Surprisingly reading about that doesn't quite have the same effect on me as it would if it was an animal who was being tortured.
I'm fairly certain Sri Lankans are just as depraved as Singaporeans when it comes to hurting animals for fun, but I have a feeling it might be a bit more rampant in Singapore, purely because there is slightly less human torture and violent crimes done in Singapore due to the size and stringent laws. People are just cruel. Of course I'm not exactly the best example of a well adjusted, sensible and caring person, but would I hurt an animal simply because it made me feel more like a man. If i needed to do that I'd make fun of my friends who have to work hard everyday and get no recognition or laugh at poor people. (Hey I never said I was a nice person)
In short,
people = cruel
Animals = nice
Peace
Someone had brought her up, trained her to be non-aggressive and then thrown her out to fend for herself. She had a snowball's chance in hell of making it on her own and was dying out there. I would use this as a comparison to say Singaporeans are cruel, but its no different wherever you come from. There have been numerous cases of cat cruelty publicized in the print media as well as online and it makes me sick inside. I generally have no problem with blood and gore, because hell I'm used to it, but reading the ways people treat animals in general make me sick to my stomach. Sri Lanka is no different, just less publicized, because its more newsworthy to report the way people torture each other. Surprisingly reading about that doesn't quite have the same effect on me as it would if it was an animal who was being tortured.
I'm fairly certain Sri Lankans are just as depraved as Singaporeans when it comes to hurting animals for fun, but I have a feeling it might be a bit more rampant in Singapore, purely because there is slightly less human torture and violent crimes done in Singapore due to the size and stringent laws. People are just cruel. Of course I'm not exactly the best example of a well adjusted, sensible and caring person, but would I hurt an animal simply because it made me feel more like a man. If i needed to do that I'd make fun of my friends who have to work hard everyday and get no recognition or laugh at poor people. (Hey I never said I was a nice person)
In short,
people = cruel
Animals = nice
Peace
haha....you wicked hypocritical bastard! you are official a singaporean now :-P
ReplyDelete"Of course I'm not exactly the best example of a well adjusted, sensible and caring person, but would I hurt an animal simply because it made me feel more like a man."
I've made the change you anal retentive spoil sport...
ReplyDeletecute cat you got there!
ReplyDeleteI can't agree that Sri-Lanka is by an chance less cruel than Singapore is towards animals. Perhaps, equally... but in no way less... I can't imagine that!
Trust me, I had many cats and dogs in my time there in SL. Even the stray dogs on the street would follow me around cos I use to feed them... so I've been around to see how cruel people can be. One time, someone had thrown a bucket of hot boiling water on one of my strays, and she was burnt to the bone.. all the fur gone, and skin peeling off red and pink. And there have been many times when my cats came back home limping and/or bleeding because some asshole(s) beat them close to death or threw stones at them! The fact that you don't see anything in the media about this stuff is because it is way too common... and people don't have much regard for animals there... no such thing as animal rights.