The fading sunlight hits her face and she doesn't flinch away. The others try to hide behind their hands and in extreme cases behind trees. RG would laugh, but she understands why they do this. They are bound creatures. Bound to their desks, bound to their chairs and bound to their jobs. After work life is just the in between time they spend waiting for the new work week to start. She shivers slightly even though its warm.
RD saunters by hoping she notices, but doing his best to hide the fact. He partially succeeds because RG doesn't notice he's even there until he's almost on top of her. He backs away immediately as if afraid to touch her, even the slightest touch.
RD: Whoops, didn't see you there. (Sweat starts to form on his forehead, he wishes it was only because of the warmth)
RG: Oh yeah, hey. (She reaches for her pack of cigarettes, fumbling in her purse for the elusive pack - she partly wishes he'd go away and partly wishes he'd stay forever)
RD: So its warm out here isn't it. Yep. Warm as hell. Ha, well maybe not as hell, maybe... (he pauses because he's rambling, so he employs the presentation skills he learnt at the recent course he took)
RG: Yeah.
RD: Er... are you looking forward to drinks tonight. This is probably the first time I'm going out with such a large work crowd. Even the oldies are out tonight. (Goddamn RD thinks, I can't believe I said oldies - his face contorts slightly as he tries to hide the blush slowly spreading across his neck and face)
RG: Should be fine. By the way, I've been meaning to ask you, does it bother you when I smoke in front of you. You always seem to be in pain whenever I smoke. (saying that, she takes a long drag and exhales slowly in front of him, knowing full well that the smoke will drift on to his face in a matter of seconds)
RD: Its fine, to each his own as they say. Not like I really care either way.
RG: Then why do you look so angry?
RD: Because I don't smoke, but I'm pretty sure lung cancer is gonna get me. (I'm angry because I can't talk to you without wanting to hide)
An old fat person walks over to them and shouts right in their faces that its time to go.
RD: Before we go forth and mingle with the herd, I was wondering if you'd like to grab a drink with me tomorrow. Like a proper drink, just us and er... just us. (The blush appears)
RG: (not looking at him, because she's looking at the dying rays of light) Yeah, sounds good I guess. Shall we join these useless pieces of shit now.
RD: Ok (the blush hasn't disappeared, but there's a bit of white in the middle where his teeth are showing, because of the smile that won't go away)
RG: oh yeah, by the way. This aint a date ok. I don't do that sort of thing with guys like you. And before you get angry, I mean nice guys who happen to be my colleagues. It'll never work.
Without waiting for an answer she walks away, the cascading rays of sunlight causing her shadows to dance without rhythm while she walks away poised as usual. RD doesn't notice the shadows as he stands in one place looking at her leaving. He doesn't respond and he doesn't move. He's pretty sure that he's not gonna make the drinks tonight.
Right next to his foot a cigarette butt finally burns out. He doesn't notice.
Volume 5 might take some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment