I got into an argument recently about Singapore's current ranking in the Press freedom ranking done by the Reporters Sans Frontières (RSF): link
I made a small mistake, which I would like to clarify. I said Singapore ranked 140th in the world when it came to press freedom. My bad, they rank 133rd.
Anyhow I find it odd that this is always contested. Don't get me wrong, I aint criticizing this, because let's be honest I don't work as a journalist or the government, so I am purely an outsider with only an outsider's understanding. But there has been serious criticism of these rankings by everyone in Singapore, stating that this portrays Singapore an oppressive state, when it isn't. You decide, not me.
Journalists have been denied work passes in Singapore immediately after writing somewhat critical articles about this country. There could be extenuating circumstances here and again I must reiterate that this is merely an outsider's opinion. Link to article
Singapore has retaliated strongly to any such claims by firing back via the government as well as by their local journalists. Link to article
Alternatively in the Freedom House rankings for 2009, Singapore is ranked below Haiti, Colombia, Kenya, Moldova, Guinea, Pakistan and so on. They are 151 out of 195. Ouch. Link
Now I've merely put the facts as I've found them and reserved judgment for you guys to make, because like I said I am merely an observer in this case and I've always maintained I am staying away from controversial topics.
Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment